L&PS Rolling Stock - Boxcab Freight Locomotives L1, L2, L3

 

 

Built by General Electric in 1915, these all steel boxcab electrics were 37 feet long, weighing 60 tons. Powered by four GE 250HP motors, they routinely handled ten 70 ton coal hopper cars over the grades of the L&PS. The locomotives were fully equipped for MU operations and were used in both freight and passenger operations.

L1 is currently at the Elgin County Railroad Museum. L2 is at the Halton County Museum. The disposition of L3 is unknown.

L1 at St. Thomas in 1920.

(MSTS)

 

L1 with 700 tons of Pennsylvania coal on the Mill Creek trestle.

(MSTS)

 

View from the cab of L1 southbound toward St. Thomas.

(MSTS)