Mile 0.0: Horton Street to Philip Street

Previous PageNext Page

 

This car shed, located between Simcoe and Gray Streets, was built in October 1916 to provided winter protection for the L&PS's roster of new passenger cars. At 325 feet long and 30 feet wide the structure accommodated up to 10 cars on two tracks. It was demolished in a wind storm sometime in the 1930s and wasn't rebuilt.

(MSTS)

 

Woollatt was established here on Gray Street in 1905 as a coal and coke vendor. They eventually branched out into lumber and building supplies and are still in that business today at a new facility on Sovereign Road.

(MSTS)

 

In the 1920s most homes were heated with coal furnaces and to keep them fueled the L&PS tracks were lined with coal vendors and their numerous storage sheds. Here we see Hoffman Coal located on Hill Street.

(MSTS)

 

The Victoria House tavern on South Street was sure to have been a popular establishment with many L&PS trainmen through the years.

(MSTS)

 

Previous PageNext Page