Mile 0.0: London Station

Previous PageNext Page

 

The L&PS had its northern terminal across from the Canadian National station at Richmond Street. In the 1920s it consisted of two long passenger shelters ( one shown here and the other just south on Burwell Street) separated from the CNR tracks by a decorative picket fence. In the 1930's there was a major rearrangement of the tracks in this area to accommodate the street underpasses at Richmond and Wellington. Retaining walls were built and the roadbed was raised 3 meters resulting in the removal of this shelter. The Burwell Street shelter was rebuilt on the new elevated roadbed roughly in its original location. That shelter served the L&PS through to the end of passenger service in 1957 and a remnant of it still remains (2005) on the L&PS property east of Richmond Street.

(MSTS)

 

This elegant victorian structure was the original Great Western Railway station, seen here looking east from Richmond Street. Constructed in 1857, it was the first of several structures on this site. The second London station, built by CNR in the art deco style in 1932, served the city through to 1962. It was replaced by a modern glass and steel structure that survived to the year 2000 when it was demolished to make way for the current Via Rail station.

(MSTS)

Previous PageNext Page