Mile 2.6: Commissioners Road (Stop 2)

Previous PageNext Page

 

Stop 2 was located just outside London on the northern edge of Westminster Township.

This small brick station, built in 1921, provided comfort and convenience for the substantial passenger traffic generated by the nearby Westminster war veterans hospital. Notice the unusual use of clay tiles on the roof. The St. Thomas station and the shelter at Union also used clay tile although this type of construction was almost non-existent elsewhere in Ontario at the time. The structure was finally demolished in 1963, a few years after the end of passenger service on the L&PS.

(MSTS)

 

Here we are looking southwest across Commissioners Road towards Swartz Tavern. Dating back to1822, this is one of the oldest structures in the London area. It was originally built by Bartholomew Swartz, a veteran of the Napolean wars, as a stopping place for stage coaches travelling from Burlington ( near Toronto) to Sandwich ( near Detroit ). With the coming of the railroads in the 1850's the era of the stage coach came to an end and the tavern passed through several owners. In 1874 it was purchased by the Middlemore Home for Waifs and Strays of Edgbaston England. Known as the Guthrie Home, it was used as a transition facility for children who were emigrated from England to work on southern Ontario farms. The facility closed in 1898 and the structure was purchased by Frank Spettigue to use as a residence. It remained in the Spettigue family until it was demolished around 1971.

(MSTS)

 

Previous PageNext Page