Mile 9.7: Glanworth Station (Stop 9)

Previous PageNext Page

 

In 1854 the L&PS purchased land near the 9th concession from Patrick Sweeney. Early timetables showed this stop as Sweeney's Corner but in 1857, when the post office was established, the community was officially named Glanworth. The following year this station structure was constructed, operated for many years by an independant agent, Mr. Harrington. Facilities at the site included a 26 car passing siding and ashort spur for freight deliveries. Around the time the L&PS was electrified in 1914, the station was in bad repair and underwent a major overhaul and refit. After being severely damaged by an accidental fire in 1938, the building was torn down and replaced by a simple passenger shelter which served to the end of passenger operations in 1957. The main and passing siding are still in use today as part of CN's Talbot sub however all structures, and the spur, have been removed.

Here is the station building in 1920 soon after its refit.

(MSTS)

 

And here is Glanworth village around the same time.

(MSTS)

 

>

Previous PageNext Page